Cryos

Harbor Assault And Subs

11 posts in this topic

Since the patch, subs have been way too OP in HA.  I've had a HA take over 20 minutes, before I just surrendered just because of a single sub staying submerged and/or out of range.  Put a time limit or some other factors in that decided the HA so your not stuck waiting for 20 minutes unless you surrender. (5 minutes should be the max on a HA)  This has happen 3 times now against Captains that are over level 100.  Shrink the size of the map to limit the travel range as well.  This is an assault not chase a conquer.  Thanks 

On 21.8.2017 at 8:59 PM, Cryos said:

[...]  I've had a HA take over 20 minutes, before I just surrendered just because of a single sub staying submerged and/or out of range.  [...]This is an assault not chase a conquer.  Thanks 

Damn, that really sounds a siege and not assault...😩

...I will put immediately three SS in my defense line... 😜

I upgraded one of my CL's to torpedo skill, no problems with subs anymore. 

hope I'll never be in your lotteries than 😁

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, Joopie said:

I upgraded one of my CL's to torpedo skill, no problems with subs anymore. 

Unfortunately, none of my CL's have the torp skill.  I have the Timmerman DD (lvl 50) with the torp skill, but it doesn't target the Sub's first, so the Sub usually manages to destroy my DD before I get to attack the enemies Subs. My HA is normally 2 BB, 2 CL, 1 DD and a CV.  All of the ships sailors are max skilled except the CV.  I don't understand why CA's can't be placed in the front row only - DD's, CL's and SS's. I know that the second row says heavy ships line, but I still think of the CA as a close fighter since it usually has a poor range compared to a BB.  So, ya sub's with max skilled sailors are OP in my opinion in HA.  If they don't sink everything in the first pass than they run out of skilled attacks and hide.  Your fleet will continue north to the border of the map and than switches course following the maps border - while the sub stays in the southern part of the map.  Diving and surfacing indefinitely or until you surrender.  It's a horrible setup. While visibly more appealing "Eye Candy so to speak" - In game function/practicality it doesn't work very well.  

What I would like to see changed - HA map size reduced.  It's an assault.  Don't let either side run and hide.  Do or die....  Second - Time limit on the HA.  A 20 minute HA isn't fun.  Honestly, I have no idea how long it would have gone, but it was long enough that a Time limit should be put in.  Third - it would be nice if you could select the target for your ships attacks.  If that isn't possible, than make DD's target SS's first.  I don't know the whole calculation of how a ship selects it's priority targets (aka BB first or nearest ships first), but sub's are seriously OP if they can just hide the whole HA with no time limit.  Again, this is an assault not a battle.  Maybe put a timer if the defenders don't kill all the ships in XX time than they move on to the harbor and let the defense there take over....

Thanks

9 hours ago, Cryos said:

[...] I still think of the CA as a close fighter since it usually has a poor range compared to a BB

[...] While visibly more appealing "Eye Candy so to speak" - In game function/practicality it doesn't work very well.  

[...] What I would like to see changed - HA map size reduced. 

[...] it would be nice if you could select the target for your ships attacks.  If that isn't possible, than make DD's target SS's first. 

[....] Maybe put a timer if the defenders don't kill all the ships in XX time than they move on to the harbor and let the defense there take over[...]

Some CA can manage the range of (small or unskilled) BB, for they have the same guns.

Yes, new HA looks much better now tjan those stoppeddead fleet before. But it really takes a long time.

Smaller Map might bring some benefit.

Select the target (at least for Skilled attacks) would even the chances when the defender has same vetted ships and could fire first.

The timer for the defending ships to return sounds good to me. But more realistic is, that not the defender but the aggressor would auto-retreat after some time. If you can't break through the line of defending ships you should just be not able to come close to the harbour.

19 hours ago, Neuner said:

The timer for the defending ships to return sounds good to me. But more realistic is, that not the defender but the aggressor would auto-retreat after some time. If you can't break through the line of defending ships you should just be not able to come close to the harbour.

I wouldn't mind this, if it wasn't for the SS issue.  But, I have serious issues with SS's just hiding after they have exhausted the specialized attacks.  Mind you, I'm now training a SS for myself to help alleviate my problem, but I don't really enjoy SS's or CV's.

Edited by Cryos

I think it's time to bring this topic back from the dead. I have three bees in my bonnet about the harbour assault system, two concerning submarines. 

Bee number one: stage one harbour assault, situation: both defender and attacker have a submarine

The problem: when I attack a player who has a submarine in his defense, my submarine will automatically and directly turn to the right side of the screen. The defending sub meanwhile goes straight on and sticks my sub full of torpedo's. My sub will have turned by then, so it takes the full load in the side. Sub dead. It can't even fire back because of this stupid manoeuvre. This needs changing.

Bee number two: stage two of the assault, no sub in game

Say I arrive at the harbour without my submarine. If there are any defense weapons, especially mines, I'll lose my heavy line to them. My light line gets munched by the defense guns while all fire from my ships is directed towards the torpedo boats (which are too fast to hit with auto-aim). End of the story: my fleet doesn't stand a chance. If there are any different experiences, please do share them.

Bee number three: stage two, sub in game

Now there are two possibilities here. One: there is no sub net in front of the garrison. My sub sails in, everything blows up, victory! Two: there is a sub net. My sub runs against it and sinks. The rest of my fleet gets sunk as described above. Defeat.

Basically I can tell at first glance whether I will win or lose the second stage of HA. Sub and no net = victory, no sub or sub with nets = defeat.

Now that those bees are out, my suggestion to solve the problem is as follows: in recent HA tinkering, the problem has always been the second stage. It still doesn't work properly. So, why not remove the second stage of HA altogether, and let it all be decided in the first stage? After all, defenders have nothing to lose anymore, so the function of HA is, at least in my eyes, a bit of a ship showdown which gives you extra goodies. Which I like very much, only the second stage seems pointless and needlessly frustrating.

Please do share your own experiences and tips/tactics/recommendations for harbour assault.

Edited by Ibby

Ahoi,

I like the second stage of HA. A and in the end, if you'll lose in second stage, you'll still have half the loot. 

But for your Sub vs Sub in stage one: Its really annoying, happens every time.. well I use SS3, so it won't sink after one round of torps... manoeuvring should be a bit more randomly...

About the torpedoboats: What makes me angry every time is the fact, that most damage is done as friendly fire, when those torpedoboats are close behind my own ships...

Subs never been an issue in my cases, my lv 50 DD has hedgehogs for sub, and tier 3 guns for surfaces