Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
愚蠢的人类

submarines
Suggestions on submarines

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I think the submarine should make some preliminary reasonable balance correction.

1) Reduce the sight range of the submarine and further reduce it after diving. And deep dive have no sight range (similar smoke bomb)

2) When the HP is less than 85% (or more reasonable proportion value), diving will slowly reduce hp , deep dive will double speed to reduce the HP .

The main purpose of the above two points is to increase the operation difficulty of the submarine without reducing damage, speed and oxygen, and is more interesting and fair. Most players should be able to accept it

[I hope my poor English will not affect my expression....]

Greetings to everyone, who knows me in the game knows that I'm not a big fan of submarines and certainly I'm not a great player with them (the worst player on SS of the entire game copright by Ena LOL :) , btw Ena returns to show you more often, pls) but in the last few months I have started to use the SS again and I have to admit that they are very very funny (except for the IJN SS all in front, they needof real good player for have some success probabily inSS duel, i think) but I agree in some form of power reduction as in these proposals, I allow myself to remind all of you (and the developers) that in wartime WWII Era (and to a lesser extent even in our times) the SSs were very fragile machines, they were afraid of the shots of the machine guns 0.30 /.050, in this game they resist 2/3 full fireboard salvo of almost any BBS (if master in repair) and their detection's system were primordial in immersion (in the first wartime years many attack were conducted in surface for this problem); return on my old idea, presented months ago related to a Room for surface ships only (DD, CL, CA, BB), only Guns's Room with reduced reward compared to normal GBs (like a sort of Expert Room) , i think that we could to see very funny Artillery's duels (i immediatly pressed for un objection, yes, Mogami44 should be admitted, imho :) ) greetings and excuse me for my logorrhoea

1) a submerged submarine in World War II could "see" further with its sonar than it could on the surface (I looked it up).

By the end of World War II a German submarine could detect a surface vessel at a range of up to 50 miles. Therefore anytime of Submarine Dives it's sight range should be increased by approximately 60%.

2) if this suggestion is ever implemented I will never play SS again. It would mean diving at all would be an immediate death sentence. 🧐

Sonar is more used for target detection. Surface ships have the same radar system for target detection, but this does not mean that they have the same sight range. Submarine's attack on surface targets relies more on periscope, so their sight range can not be too wide, and deep diving can not see anything.

We can changed it to continue to scan the target at the radar interface of the upper right corner when the submarine is diving , just like a radar on a normal surface ship.

In fact, these proposals will not cause too much damage to the submarine. A skilled, seasoned and conscious player can play a huge role as usual. At the same time, the significance of reconnaissance will be more important

I think the problem here is if we want:

a) semi accurate modelling of submarines or,

b) submarines having a place in WWII naval battles

we can pick a) OR b) as WWII subs were too slow submerged (7-10 kn, except the XXI that could do 17), one shot from (almost) any gun would prevent them to dive, were generally fragile*, periscope was needed (or at least used) for final attack, generally detectable (at close range), would *only* carry 12 (S-class) to 24 (Gato) torpedoes... During WWII a submarine would hide and pray if detected by any warship.

On the other hand, pattern following (not straight line until fuel runs out) and acoustic homing (from 1943) torpedoes with magnetic triggers were used.

Trying to make a realistic model of submarines would make them useless in the game.

* Wikipedia "Ramming": On 29 January 1943, the Japanese submarine I-1 was rammed and wrecked by the New Zealand naval trawlers, Kiwi and Moa in shallow water at Kamimbo Bay, Guadalcanal, during Operation Ke. The submarine of 2,135 tons was much larger and more heavily armed than the minesweeping trawlers of 607 tons each.

Of course many other things are not very realistic in-game to make it playable. e.g. CVs starting and restricted to fight in very close ranges, damage of shells (also hull strength, speed, turn rate) depending on crew experience, unrealistic speeds (50-60+ knots for DDs and CLs, 35-40+ for everything else), all ships within class and nation sharing same speeds (e.g Nelson and King George V, Colorado and Iowa), WWI battleships being stronger than WWII BBs (the 4 ships of the Izmail-Borodino class were scrapped in 1923/1931 as obsolete)

Wikipedia IJN I-1: On 29 January 1943 she encountered the New Zealand minesweepers, Kiwi and Moa. Unable to penetrate I-1's hull with their deck guns,[citation needed] the minesweepers rammed and chased her to shallow water, eventually driving her aground on the reef at Kamimbo Bay, Guadalcanal.[2][3] The wreck partially protrudes from the water.

Kiwi and Moa had 4" guns. Submarine hulls were not that fragile after all.

Edited by baldrick
Edit: Submarine hull strength