Gronk

Shimakaze ?!?

14 posts in this topic

Uhm...

A destroyer that you can't build until level 50 that also cost a million steel. Seriously? O.o

The initial stats don't look that great except it has as much hull strength as some CA's.

Is it really worth it?

12 hours ago, Gronk said:

[...]

The initial stats don't look that great except it has as much hull strength as some CA's.

[...]

🤣

If it's worth a million, depends on where you will want to use it.

Thinking about limited WoF during the WoF-Tournament, I'd say let's add some CA the size of DD to the limited amount of 3 BB 

😉

It worths. Cheap upgrading and training cost make it easily reaches to complete model.

It’s a good boat to farm steel in, mostly, beginner match before you reach lv60. I upgraded it’s engine and torpedo to lv3. With its max OH speed at 63 knots, it can easily ‘feed’ some torps to CA or CV in close range (and quickly die for another match XD).

You’ll need a lot of steel in upgrading your first lv50 CV Hiryu or SS (just forget about the first BB, or forget about all Lv50 BB, CV or SS since the crew training speed is too slow).

Farm with Shimakaze, upgrade buildings to lv 10 and reach lv60. Then start our journey in BB60.

Edited by Davmak

My build on the Z121 (German lvl 50 DD) is with hedgehogs. I keep my distance (close to my max gun range) from CAs and BBs relying in speed and manoevrability to stay alive and actively hunt subs and CVs given the chance.

I disagree on the beginner battle part. DD50 has it's place in great battle and online battle (as sub screen and AA in front of the capital ships).

Also 63kn? is that with master crew?

6 hours ago, baldrick said:

My build on the Z121 (German lvl 50 DD) is with hedgehogs. I keep my distance (close to my max gun range) from CAs and BBs relying in speed and manoevrability to stay alive and actively hunt subs and CVs given the chance.

I disagree on the beginner battle part. DD50 has it's place in great battle and online battle (as sub screen and AA in front of the capital ships).

Also 63kn? is that with master crew?

Oh thanks god that there are replies in this forum!

My crew is in vet only and it does has 63 knot max speed.

Though I haven’t tried KM yet but I think the combat philosophy of IJN is quite different to other nations. Jap’s ships have great torpedos but weak hulls, this makes Jap’a DD or CL can’t stay long in the field. ‘Torp and die’ is my strategy. I usually pick up pairs of CLs at the beginning of battle, rush in with OH speed and then throw in torps in close range. Thanks to that most ships doesn’t has bulge armour upgrade (it cost three points in armour!), torps Usually I can kill at least two ships and sometimes three with my three salvo of torps (5 torps per shots, 3740 damage each). It’s advantageous for my team in mid-game management.

2 minutes ago, Davmak said:

Oh thanks god that there are replies in this forum!

...there are always some who read and response...

I have my Z121 just like baldrick: With HH for ASW and Maingun I for manual AAW... it's a superb support ship for BB line...

2 hours ago, Neuner said:

...there are always some who read and response...

I have my Z121 just like baldrick: With HH for ASW and Maingun I for manual AAW... it's a superb support ship for BB line...

Ya field management is a key.

Btw are there any attack points/ bonus of hitting down planes or SS?

8 hours ago, Davmak said:

‘Torp and die’ is my strategy

Try staying close to a capital ship and support.  The battleship should take care of any surface threats, you take care of airborne and subs.

Most likely you will not do the damage amount you did in 'torp and die' but you will have a serious contribution to the battle.

Unlike Neuner I have the Z121 with 3 gun, no AA but more than a match for any DD and CL, many CAs and green BBs. Can do serious damage (50-80k similar to my battleships) if I don't get overexcited and go too close to a battleship.

Also see "So you are now lv 50 with 1 mil steel" for more.

5 hours ago, Davmak said:

Btw are there any attack points/ bonus of hitting down planes or SS?

SS count normally as any other vessel. Planes are not displayed in the damage counter up left but I'm sure they count towards the damage score in the battle report at the end. For me the ultimate bonus is winning the battle and getting the 15xp for my crew.

PS. If you like torpedoes Kitakami is the undisputed champion.

21 hours ago, baldrick said:

Try staying close to a capital ship and support.  The battleship should take care of any surface threats, you take care of airborne and subs.

Most likely you will not do the damage amount you did in 'torp and die' but you will have a serious contribution to the battle.

Unlike Neuner I have the Z121 with 3 gun, no AA but more than a match for any DD and CL, many CAs and green BBs. Can do serious damage (50-80k similar to my battleships) if I don't get overexcited and go too close to a battleship.

Also see "So you are now lv 50 with 1 mil steel" for more.

SS count normally as any other vessel. Planes are not displayed in the damage counter up left but I'm sure they count towards the damage score in the battle report at the end. For me the ultimate bonus is winning the battle and getting the 15xp for my crew.

PS. If you like torpedoes Kitakami is the undisputed champion.

Is there any tips on using AA gun? Seems is unable to adjust the shooting angle and there seems to have no auto targeting.

Manual AA guns only shoot at altitude - you have to predict the position of planes to shoot them down.

There seems to be an auto AA that only targets very close to the ship low flying planes when they dive for their torp run or to drop their bombs. You won't see any guns firing from the ship just random planes being shot down.

In conclusion: "Long" range high altitude AA Manual only, short range low altitude AA auto only (same on all ships not "enabled" small guns only).

I was the one that started this thread and I was way wrong. The level 50 DD is quite strong. And with max engines and maneuverability, nearly impossible to hit.

I'm thinking I might like the hedgehogs better than the torpedoes. They seem to do a better job on the subs and even pretty good on surface ships if they get close enough.

So I've been putting 3 in the engines, 3 in the main gun, and 2 for the hedgehogs.

Shimkazee is where it's at, after getting a C  class blue print my whole strategy is in that boat until I can level up , collect debris and get something ridiculously powerful.

so far all my other ships go to harbor assault. Got a b lvl Kongo I cant afford the build yet. But it's working for me.

2 launchers 3 guns 2 engine 1fcs.

what prints are available  ?

C is the highest Shimakaze you can get (currently at least).

while powerful and ludicrously fast (69 knots OH with mastered crew) and fun to play (mostly because of the OH speed), note that DDs lack repair crew and the damage reduction they offer making them relatively fragile

11 hours ago, baldrick said:

C is the highest Shimakaze you can get (currently at least).

well, good to know thank you.