Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baldrick

weather
weather

3 posts in this topic

How about adding some weather / time of day effects selected at random at the start of any battle? For example:

1. Fair weather - as it is now

2. Choppy - speed/aim penalty for the smaller ships - say 6 kn for DDs, 3-4 for Cls

3. overcast/low clouds - planes invisible at height but with severe aim penalties and even chance to get lost

4. night - very limited visual range for all down to a minimum say 1000, would be nice to add radar image on main screen to compensate (a fading ghost/green outline of ship whenever radar beam "sees" it)

I think it will add a dimension to the game as different conditions will require different tactics.

Would not suggest severe weather (e.g. storms) that would cripple some ships.

I know it won't be easy to implement but would be a nice future adjustment.

I really love the idea, but fear that players would just surrender, whenever they see it's not their best weather-condition. 

Who would play a CV to death, when it's males is that great, so he wouldn't see his enemies?

maybe if malus in gameplay would be compensated with a doubled reward for that ships class in case of victory?!?

To be honest I'm a bit biased against CVs so my thinking is not to their best interests...You are right blindness is too extreme and will not work for another reason: imagine trying to locate that last fleeing enemy without scouts. my aim was to give them some AA protection but reduce their accuracy for balance, or something like that. If not completely overcast a lot more and bigger clouds will add to complexity as ships will have another variable to consider.

What I really want to recommend is to set conditions that force players to adapt their playing style, not cripple some ships beyond competency. It needs more thinking over. If for example reduced speed and accuracy is crippling to DDs and CLs give them another advantage such as torpedoes that do not leave a clear track behind them or even make smaller ships harder to see and track in the rough weather.

To that end (and probably easier to implement) is to add some shallow water around islands that only the light ships can navigate.

Of course these suggestions won't make some players stop charging blindly - but add a dimension to these who incorporate some tactics in their game.