Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davmak

Tips on IJN BB and CV

10 posts in this topic

I’m now lv57 and got Kongo and Hiryu. I’m not intending to level Kongo (just use it as harbour assualt) but I was planing to upgrade Hiryu since has most number of planes in its level.

However when I start working on levelling many problems occur:

1) The steel required is extremely high. I need to use farm steels in battles.

2) The crew XP got in battles are extremely few, only 2-3 XP but it needs 1000 XP to level up a pilot. 

3) Opearation of CV is also not easy. It is almost impossible to sink 2BB and 1CV by only a new, untrainined CV.

My question:

How do other experienced player level their CV?

Also, as training cost is so damn high, should I give up levelling Hiryu and continue to farm resource / build base buildings with my DD, CL, CA (which are all in vet level) until I can buy some CVs at lv 68 or 79?

Any BB or CV are worthy to level?

Don't know about IJN, I found Gneisenau (German BB50) to be a little more powerful than the Hipper (CA41) and a shell magnet (just because of the BB before the name) but overall I was satisfied leveling it. I have almost given up on my CV55, but I think that's more my fault being hopeless trying to control 3 squads of planes and a ship at the other side of map efficiently.

5 hours ago, Davmak said:

2) The crew XP got in battles are extremely few, only 2-3 XP but it needs 1000 XP to level up a pilot. 

If you believe your side will win, stay to the end of battle after you get sunk to get the 15 crew xp. Unfortunately BBs, SSs and CVs take ages to grind to veteran crew - not much to do there if you don't want to buy expert crews with gold.

SS is a different story: Respectable damage from green crew, everything happens on screen (without much scrolling around). Just keep an eye on oxygen and learn to deep dive fast as the control is a bit unwieldy.

21 hours ago, baldrick said:

Don't know about IJN, I found Gneisenau (German BB50) to be a little more powerful than the Hipper (CA41) and a shell magnet (just because of the BB before the name) but overall I was satisfied leveling it. I have almost given up on my CV55, but I think that's more my fault being hopeless trying to control 3 squads of planes and a ship at the other side of map efficiently.

If you believe your side will win, stay to the end of battle after you get sunk to get the 15 crew xp. Unfortunately BBs, SSs and CVs take ages to grind to veteran crew - not much to do there if you don't want to buy expert crews with gold.

SS is a different story: Respectable damage from green crew, everything happens on screen (without much scrolling around). Just keep an eye on oxygen and learn to deep dive fast as the control is a bit unwieldy.

Thanks for your help!

my CV55 is getting better in great battle. I tend to send two squads of flight and one scout to ensure air superiority first. Then depends on the number of CV opponents has, send out torp plane to attack. I have to trust my team that can kill and keep my support role. 

Yes, if every ship doesn't play it's role correctly the battle is lost - or just chaotic at best.

I don't bother with scouts early in battle, relying in others to scout instead.

3 hours ago, baldrick said:

Yes, if every ship doesn't play it's role correctly the battle is lost - or just chaotic at best.

I don't bother with scouts early in battle, relying in others to scout instead.

But sometimes it’s like playing paper-rock-scissor, if there is no CVs in opposition there is no use to own the sky. And the opponent fleet can easily rush in without the suppression of torps XD......

Anyway this is the fun of tactics!

5 minutes ago, Davmak said:

if there is no CVs in opposition there is no use to own the sky.

Yes there is. Keeping enemy scouts down gives your allies the ability to manoeuvre undetected and engage enemies out of their view, forcing them to get closer while manual firing at approximate positions. You can achieve this with just one squad of fighters and pound them with the rest.

23 minutes ago, Davmak said:

And the opponent fleet can easily rush in without the suppression of torps

Rush in where if they don't see you? Also, yes please, point your bow and only half your guns to my broadside. I'll get 100% hits with 100% of my firepower while the enemy rushing in will get <50% hits (when visible much less if he doesn't see me) from 50-66% of his guns.

On 11/7/2017 at 3:38 AM, baldrick said:

learn to deep dive fast as the control is a bit unwieldy.

Quick question on this statement. Is there a way to dive deeper?!? Is that why some subs never seem to get hit by torps and hedgehogs?

If so, how? I've been trying and not succeeding.

Hold the depth control button pressed, it will move the check to the bottom of the dial and your sub will deep dive. It cannot move or fire torps (other than go to shallow depth or surface) but will be invulnerable to torps and hedgehogs and will disappear from sonar (your sonar will still work). Some players use that to ambush ships or other subs.

As you have to keep the dial pressed the deep dive is a bit slow and you can easily surface instead if you don't hold on long enough.

17 hours ago, baldrick said:

Hold the depth control button pressed, it will move the check to the bottom of the dial and your sub will deep dive. It cannot move or fire torps (other than go to shallow depth or surface) but will be invulnerable to torps and hedgehogs and will disappear from sonar (your sonar will still work). Some players use that to ambush ships or other subs.

As you have to keep the dial pressed the deep dive is a bit slow and you can easily surface instead if you don't hold on long enough.

Thanks baldrick, emergent deep dive really an essential skill for SS player.