Woodmorning

I-400 Flight Deck Upgrade

9 posts in this topic

Hello all! As someone who loves the more unique ships of WW2, the I-400 class submarine has always been one of my favorite ships in history, and was the largest submarine in the world prior to nuclear capable subs! In game as far as I am aware the sub can carries scout planes.

In real life however, the sub was able to carry three Aichi M6A Seiran floatplane attack aircraft in its water tight hangar. The sub was designed to surface, and launch the aircraft to surprise attack strategic targets such as the Panama Canal. 

I don't have the I-400 unlocked yet, but I think it would be neat to give it a flight deck upgrade option to allow it to deploy a single squadron of either a 1x scout, or 3x dive bombers and/or torpedo bombers. I don't know how effective this would be as far as game balance is concerned, but I wouldn't think it would be game breaking as a squadron of 3 is likely to get shot down easily and not do too much damage. Also the total number of aircraft could be extremely limited, so once the 3x bombers are dead, you don't have any more to launch. 

I don't know how challenging this would be to add, but it would add a unique and historically accurate feature to what I consider an icon of naval history! I would love to see this happen! Happy hunting! :)

Wow submarine cv!

actually, the long sight range of scout has worked perfectly with i400 in hunting big ships

And I think the 8-point upgrade system of ships cannot bring a strong ship that cater everything. Think about Mogami1944.

I really like this idea! As far as i know, I-400 was created to attack the American soil. And to make it effective, there was a plan to arm the bomber with the extremly dangerous biological weapon. But was rejected for the reason is inhumane as far as i know. Correct me if im wrong.

The idea is pretty interesting and historic, but I think it's not very useful as only 3 torpedo/dive bombers doesn't really make the difference and it would require upgrade slots, that are more necessary in other aspects of the submarine..

But anyway, having that possibility/alternative to the usual setup of SS could be interesting, who knows, maybe those little 3 torpedo planes can really make the difference? I like the idea for the diversity, IJN is pure diversity and fun after all! ( IJN FANGIRL DETECTED ) :P

Yeah, I am certainly not sure how effective it would be. And I also do not know how to properly balance the idea for fun gameplay, but I think it would be really cool and possible a viable alternative to typical SS builds as you said. I definitely enjoy the more unique ships IJN has to offer! The Mogami CAV and ISE BBV are also some of my favorite historical ships, one of which we have in game!

6 hours ago, Davmak said:

How about submarine with V2 rocket for KM?

Where did you find that? was it built, planned or just postwar fantasy of someone?

While cool as a concept a ballistic missile would not be very useful in naval combat.

24 minutes ago, Davmak said:

See Operation Teardrop

Thanks, didn't know that. Seems to be unsuccessful German attempts to mount missiles on subs, a successful propaganda to divert US resources to a non-existing threat and some actual tests by US after the war to mount JB-2 missiles (V-1 copies) on Balao submarines