Katamotai

I really want this game to be good...

27 posts in this topic

The “balance” on this game is totally messed up.

Why do the battleships have to be so accurate? I try playing in the great battles, because every single daily quest is to “play in great battle” but it’s so frustrating to the point that I can’t be bothered.

I see battleships casually picking off destroyers from max Range with their first salvo, and nobody can get close enough to do anything about it.

And don’t even get me started on subs, they’re just a straight up joke. 

2 things need to happen.

1: reduce the accuracy / increase the spread of battleship guns.

2: add a surface detection range to all ships! Let the destroyers have a chance to get close enough to torp the bigger ships.

17 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

I see battleships casually picking off destroyers from max Range with their first salvo, and nobody can get close enough to do anything about it.

No offence... but is it related to you control skills? And why need a DD get close to BB?

if you want to complete tasks to sink 5 BB a day. You can us a CA to do the task pretty easily.

It’s nothing to do with what I’m doing.

My current best ship is the Pensacola. I picked it cause I figured it would have the range to keep up with battleships, but even then I get picked off. I dodge, weave, constantly change course and still they hit me before I can even get within range myself.

I have videos that I saved of this happening but I can’t share them on here cause the file size is too big.

I see it the truth somewhere in between. Davmak is right on the BB vs DD part. a BB can and will take out a DD in max range if the BB manual aims correctly and the DD doesn't turn so it's totally on the skill that one. for the DD vs SS now... things used to be right but now DDs are not the sub hunters they used to be - and that's from a sub player who discovered that he can pretty much take some DD torps or hedgehogs rather than lose the big fat target.

DD/CL torps should be as powerful as SS torps so that DDs can do their job

8 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

My current best ship is the Pensacola. I picked it cause I figured it would have the range to keep up with battleships, but even then I get picked off. I dodge, weave, constantly change course and still they hit me before I can even get within range myself.

Keep doing that (including avoiding pointing straight to/away from them). It all comes down to crew skill now - I suffered a lot from Pensas trying to get some experience on my Gneisenau/Bismark and Scharnhorst... (mind you Scharnhorst is a lvl 80 BB and will still get destroyed by a vet Pensa at 1 star).

Because of that, put a Pensa within my range and it's like waving a red flag at me.

Edited by baldrick
Note: Scharnhorst range at gun 3 is 3100+ so expect a couple of volleys as you charge into me before you get in range

So what exactly is the purpose of destroyers then?

Torps are easy to dodge, the guns are short range so that anything is gonna dominate you within your own gun range.

AA? Boring.

Games like WoWS have things like surface detection range for a reason. To give the little guy a chance at doing something useful.

DDs are basically cannon fodder.

I don’t always want to play in the biggest ship I can get my hands on.

But right now I feel like you might aswell just have 10 v 10 battleship matches, everyone just rinsing each other with one shot.

5 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

Torps are easy to dodge, the guns are short range so that anything is gonna dominate you within your own gun range.

AA? Boring.

Games like WoWS have things like surface detection range for a reason. To give the little guy a chance at doing something useful.

DDs are basically cannon fodder.

I partly agree agree with you there. DDs used to be prime SS hunters, now not that much. I don't find it wrong that a heavier bigger ship will wipe them out without even trying - when I play the DD50 with almost double the hull of DD1/3 I don't even try to get a CA/BB in torp range even with extra speed.

1 minute ago, Katamotai said:

I don’t always want to play in the biggest ship I can get my hands on.

But right now I feel like you might aswell just have 10 v 10 battleship matches, everyone just rinsing each other with one shot.

Doesn't end there... You will witness fights of 2-3 BBs vs 1 and the 1 destroying the others just because it's a 120 with veteran crew. a higher level player will always field something more powerful than you, if he couldn't he would have left the game long ago.

9 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

Anti-SS and logging the incoming SS.

But aren’t your rewards based on how much damage you deal?

Here is the rock-paper-scissor in NF:

BB sunk by CV/SS

SS sunk by DD/CL

DD/CL sunk by CA

CA sunk by BB

High level BB sink low level BB 

BB will be disabled if there is no scout planes, while CA/CL/CV (and DD) can clear scout planes.

I enjoy playing CA because it has fast speed and good firing power, it has strong manuel AAW too and can react to many cases in the field. I love to move wih SS so I can clear the DD/CL for it and he SS can help me to clear big threats of BB.

Great battle is not a 5v5 game and requires higher tactical sense:)

2 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

Steel bonus and Admiral xp are. Crew xp only if you lose the battle, in victory crew gets 15 (or more if premium account) regardless of damage/ships sunk - and you have to stay in until battle ends to get them.

6 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

Yes and that’s why it’s the interesting point of using a CA. My CA can deal with quite a lot of damage per game.

FCB7E0F1-F889-40A8-9016-9DB0645D8AF2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Davmak said:

Here is the rock-paper-scissor in NF:

BB sunk by CV/SS

SS sunk by DD/CL

DD/CL sunk by CA

CA sunk by BB

High level BB sink low level BB 

BB will be disabled if there is no scout planes, while CA/CL/CV (and DD) can clear scout planes.

Further than what Davmak said I wrote the "Unofficial battle tips" a while back. That is my tactics guide for a GB or WoF and generally my fleets tactics. Hope it helps

I just played a match as a DD just to try out being more of a “defender”. I basically followed a BB around all game (as there were no CVS), I shot down a couple of aircraft, and even managed to scrape a couple of kills. And this is my reward.

3C6C5B7B-44AD-4325-B2C6-BFC6F1E4306C.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

I just played a match as a DD just to try out being more of a “defender”. I basically followed a BB around all game (as there were no CVS), I shot down a couple of aircraft, and even managed to scrape a couple of kills. And this is my reward.

Nice, you kept the BB safe from subs, blinded enemy BBs so yours could do its job and won the battle. Your contribution to the battle is much greater that what the 12120 attack says. Do you need the reward steel more that the crew xp and satisfaction of victory?

Well maybe some kind of defends reward could be implemented.

Keeping within a certain radius of ships like BBs or CVs as a destroyer can grant you defence points instead of attack points.

cause right now I do need the steel and the grind for it seems so slow.

6 minutes ago, Katamotai said:

[...]Keeping within a certain radius of ships like BBs or CVs as a destroyer can grant you defence points instead of attack points.[...]

Brilliant suggestion!

Team play would be increased by far with some kind of "defense-points" (like shooting down scouts).

edit:

With the increased atk-dmg of aircrafts the effect for your team whit shooting them is immense. So some kind of reward for doing so should be granted.

Edited by Neuner

I’m not daft I know that destroyers are gonna lose in a straight up gun fight with BBs. But I quite like to play as DDs but there’s no real incentive in place that encourages you to play as it, unless you go balls to the wall and try and get torp kills. But then you just die.

1 minute ago, Katamotai said:

I’m not daft I know that destroyers are gonna lose in a straight up gun fight with BBs. But I quite like to play as DDs but there’s no real incentive in place that encourages you to play as it, unless you go balls to the wall and try and get torp kills. But then you just die.

Try a dd50 with manu-AAW, HH and use it with speed and some armour... it's fun for sure.

Which nation is DD50? I only have America and Japan unlocked.

They all have a DD50 - meaning the Destroyer at lvl50 like Timmerman and shimakaze