Joseph Templar

New Ship Ideas: HMS Habakkuk

1 post in this topic

For the new ships ideas, since the developers add more of non existent ships (not even in blueprints or proposals nor projects) that i never heard of, i suggest that this time if they decide to add more ships especially for UK nation, i suggest they add this.

HMS Habakkuk.

CV

Tier A-S

UK's giant aircraft carrier! A Project proposed during world war two by Geoffrey Pyke amidst the threat from U-boats.

Not gonna add too long and boring info,  so i just jump on how roughly strong its durability and armor is. Her air squdron, her speed and her size.

First of, her durability.

She was to construct using a pykrete. A mixture of wood pulp and ice. Durability can be compared to a concrete. 

So that means she can withstand a lot of punishment. So basically her durability (Hit Points) should be a typical Tier S. But adding 20% more durability than any tier S CV. 

Secondly, her armor.

There's no information about her armor apparently. But there's a note that Admiralty wanted her to be torpedo-proof. Which mean that her hull had to be at least 40 ft (12 m) thick. And her aircraft hangars can withstand a blast from 1,000 kg bombs. And the pykrete itself are bulletproof.

(and of course her outer layer hull is covered by thin steel to not expose her ice to sea water)

So her armor strength is, (both belt and deck) when Tier S BB shell hit her, she only receive mediocre damage while destroyers only minor damage. With her torpedo bulge upgrade, it needs 6 squadron of Tier S torpedo bomber to sunk her.

Thirdly, her air squadron.

The Fleet Air  Arm decide that a heavy bomber can be implemented.

So to make her air group different and unique than other conventional CV, her airplane as should follows:

Her Fighter plane is Westland Whirlwind.

Westland Whirlwind is twin-engine heavy fighter developed by Westland Aircraft. Single seat and cannon-armed fighter. (not to be mistaken for Westland whirlwind Helicopter)

Her Torpedo Bombers is Bristol Beaufighter. 

The Bristol Type 156 Beaufighter was a twin-engine multi-role aircraft developed during world war 2 by Bristol Aeroplane Company. Nickname Torbeu as a torpedo bomber against axis shipping.

Her Dive Bombers is de Havilland Mosquito.

de Havilland DH. 98 Mosquito is a British twin-engined, shoulder-winged multirole combat aircraft. Originally conceived as an unarmed fast bomber, it evolved during the war into many roles, including low to medium altitude daytime tactical bomber, high altitude night bomber, pathfinder, day or night fighter, maritime strike and photo-reconnaissance aircraft.

So basically all of her airplane are twin engine. Slightly bigger than other planes but not exceed a Tier S CV SS Carpet bombers aircraft size.

More durable than other CV plane.

Fourthly, Her speed.

Her speed is proposed/depicted to be 7 knots. Maximum. 

Okay. In this game, if your ship is 7 knot, you basically dead in water. Even the sinking ship is faster than that. So i proposed that her full speed with vetted crew, full engine upgrade, overheat speed is 40 knots.

To add more, about her turning speed.

She was initially projected that she would be steered by varying the speed of the motors on either side. But the Royal Navy decided that a rudder was essential.

Since she was bigger and bigger ships had more problem to turn. She in other hand, since she had the ability to varying the speed to steer and the adding the essential, her turning speed would be as a normal CV. Not BB. 

Fifthly, Her size. 

Her length is 2,000 feet, width is 300 feet.

To be honest, this ship is far to big for comfort. She could be an easy target for every ship shells. Torpedo bomber may never miss and dive bombers will bomb anywhere and always get a hit. So i suggest that her size should be a bit longer than Italian tier S Battlecarrier Italia. And wider than most CV in the game.

And lastly, her armament.

Her armament would have included 40 dual-barrelled 4.5 DP (dual purpose gun) turrets and numerous light anti-aircraft guns.

Since we already reduce her size, i think her secondary gun would be better either 10 or 5 on each side. Choosing 10 would mean she had 20 secondary gun. Choosing 5 mean she had 10 secondary guns. And this secondary AAW Mode is enabled and numerous of her light AAW will make her the most heavily protected from incoming aircraft. For me this is feasible since she is quite large and slow. She might not be able to evade from incoming dive or torpedo bombers. So with her armament will at least protect her and reduce the number of attacking planes. 

That is all.

I'm open to any thoughts and ideas that to add or remove. 

Thank you.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.ff6754f1797843eae91c0da6ab90cc04.jpg

The huge ship is the HMS Habakkuk.

(Illustration)

project-habbakuk-5-1200x728.thumb.jpg.2be4d79acb6a77eb0ad0ba687bf89dff.jpg

HMS Habakkuk internal look. 

(Illustration)

Edited by Joseph Templar