Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

French battleship-carrier

6 posts in this topic

In 1940 when Germany invaded France in Fall Gelb, uncompleted French Richelieu-class battleship Jean Bart fell under the control of Vichy government. After the allied landings in French North Africa, the ship switched sides. 

The French hoped that the ship would be finished in the United States just like her sister ship Richelieu. There were plans that it would be completed as a hybrid battlrship-aircraft carrier. Jean Bart had only two main guns total and both of them were in the front so neither of them would had to be taken away. On the place of the area back of the turrets there was supposed to build a flight deck which operates six planes (does not have to be six in the game).

88My3kX.thumb.png.8c65063c1398e24e941c806f58d4cb83.png

As you may already now, this plan was never done. But now when there are a lot of rumours about coming French and Italian ships, couldn't it be done here? Think about it, this is a battleship version of Mogami 1944, a ship we all love. Wouldn't this ship be just amazing?!

I think this could be maybe level 90 premium ship as it is very unique one. Then level 100 would be Richelieu, 110 Alsace and 120 Charlemagne (the famous triangle).

Hope this will get implemented!

I wrote this on my phone and don't know how to get that white background away.

Edited by 007

Mogami 1944 is relatively weaker than other CA under the eight-slot system in NFM.

To balance the needs on engine, armour and guns, it is almost impossible to invest more slots on aircrafts. If devs wanted to make hybrid carriers, they have to grant a good gun1 which is not advices to further upgrade. So more points can fall on crafts.

7 hours ago, Davmak said:

Mogami 1944 is relatively weaker than other CA

I've got my mogami44 with 3 main gun, 2 armour, 2 flying deck and 1 speed.

It has 6x1020=6120 broadside damage with 1420 reload and 2306 range and 2 squads of planes.

For comparison the Hipper has 8x1179 = 9432 broadside damage with 1592 reload and 2355 range and County 8x1301 = 10408 broadside with 1580 reload and 2347 range.

In my opinion Mogami44 is much more useful in a fleet action (because of the planes) and can hold itself in 1v1 vs the other CA41s, provided it can get a torpedo hit or two to make up for the reduced damage dealt by her guns. With vet crew the speed is 26kn standard and 43kn overspeed, so I consider 1 engine upgrade adequate to both escape subs and control distance to other CAs (but not enough to chase down a CV with guns).

It is my understanding that my build on the mogami44 might be unique in the game with most other players preferring the mini CV build with full deck and plane upgrades (thus cutting back on armour and guns as you say).

Edited by baldrick
Edit: my mogami44 build speed stats

First of all Greetings Dav (we miss you in game), Baldrick and 007 (License to "sink" :)); all good arguments and interesting setting (Baldrick), for my part I would add only this to the Mogami44, or an Airplane officer is added or the squadrons are reduced to only 3 planes, now the times for the launch of the combat aircraft are biblical (as a 0-star CV I think), in fact the Mogami is almost unusable, only as air cover because the fighters launch time is accetable

48 minutes ago, S Gorskov said:

in fact the Mogami is almost unusable, only as air cover because the fighters launch time is accetable

the times might be long, but will still manage to get some torp bombers in the air - even if not in the same rate as an experienced crew CV. It is the only CA that can successfully protect a fleet from a battleship and harass submarines.

My build is partly based on that, a CA assisted by planes but not fully dependent on them. (the biggest sacrifice of my build is not having upgraded torp planes - but i still hold armour more important).

Edited by baldrick
Edit: spelling

I use 3 main gun, 3 planes and 2 flightdeck on my 1944, thus operating it as an auxilary cv with the firepower to fend off smaller ships. Works like a charm, but as said it's no match for an experienced cv. It should't be, either. Its role is different from a cv and different from a normal ca as well. There should be compromises, and I think the current 1944 is a great balance between ca and cv.

For a quick comparison: if the 1944 should be able to beat both a normal ca41 and a cv at their own game, isn't that the same as saying the Kaiser needs 2500 damage and the Victoria needs 3000 range?